"I'd rather pay someone than get my hands dirty."


Whilst promoting the GirlsTorque Workshops I realised it wasn't the first time I'd heard this comment. Each time someone says this I feel an entire generation has lost the will to learn and the drive to be in control.

Have you ever noticed how little kids want to do everything by themselves? Try offering them a hand and you'll get a sharp response accompanied by a scowl, "I do it!"

What happened as we grew up? When did we lose that sense of self achievement? When did we stop being curious enough to want to learn more?

I was raised to be independent, to ask questions and to give it a go. Somewhere along the line, I also found a bloke who was patient enough to let me be that little kid who wants to try everything themselves. So in the process of trying everything, I learnt that somethings I'm able to do, whereas other things I have to be happy in the knowledge that at least I know how, even if I can't do.

Knowledge is Safety

I watched my next door neighbour teaching his young "L" plate son all about tyre pressure, changing tyres, water, coolant, oil, battery etc... before he was even allowed to turn the engine on. When I complimented my neighbour on taking the effort, he replied, "I don't want to worry about him being stranded in the middle of no-where because he didn't maintain his car properly". While I'm sure he will continue to worry about his son, he can rest assured the basics have been covered.

"But I'll just call roadside assistance."

By my neighbours son learning the basics about maintaining his own vehicle, he's more likely to be enjoying his adventure instead of standing by the roadside waiting for help.

Knowledge is Power

Have you ever taken your car in for a service, and ended up paying for all this extra stuff you didn't realise you needed? Did you even know it's your right to ask the mechanic to show you the worn brake pads that needed replacing, or the oil filter that was clogged up?

Studies have shown that women who know absolutely nothing about their car can be charged up to 25% more, and often for repairs that were either not required or not done. By having a little knowledge about what is required, and what the old parts should look like, and the likelihood of actually needing "that" repair, you can save yourself quite a bit of cash.

Knowledge gives you Choice

So at the end of the day, yes, "I'd rather pay someone than get my hands dirty." But at least I know if they are doing their job and not ripping me off.


-----------------------
Andy Kahle



"I'd rather pay someone than get my hands dirty." "I'd rather pay someone than get my hands dirty." Reviewed by Anonymous on 12:11 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.